{I am a Rabbit} Cypress {in the skin of a Deer}

Narcissus's picture

{I am a Rabbit} Cypress {in the skin of a Deer}

{pictogram name} status: seeking a fresh start
|| related pages: {Grammarshine} | {Rabbits} | {secondary account} | {dream blog} ||

|| Info | Updates/Story | Art ||

-General-
note: This character was named Adrien. I've decided to change his name to Cypress, to match the rest of his family's plant-based names.
name: Cypress Rabbit
name meaning/origin: When he was adopted into the Rabbit family, he was given the name Dandelion, which means "overcome hardship," but after the death of his loved one, he changed his name to Cypress, a tree that represents sorrow.
nickname(s):
age group: adult
size: 13
scent: He smells of rabbit, mushrooms, and blooming flowers.
voice: a soft Tenor with a slightly scratchy quality
appearance: Cypress is a human-faced deer of mixed breeds, with a fluffy white-tail and the branching horns of a mule deer. His pelt is dark brown with a lighter brown on the underside of his neck, belly, and tail, and gold-ish tan stripes on his neck and back.
The skin on his face is quite pale, but his lips and eyelids are slightly tan. He has a medium-large nose; a small, dark beard; little, round eyebrows; and purple eyes. The hair on top of his head naturally grows into a fauxhawk-like style.

-Preferences-
sexuality: undecided or bisexual
languages: Lapine (rabbit language), Cervine (deer language)
favourite places in the forest: Old Oak, Crying Idol, anywhere there are mushrooms
personal philosophies: Treat all beings as equals; never engage in unnecessary violence; listen more often than you speak; death and life are an interwoven circle, and one cannot be complete without the other; all nature is beautiful.
current in-forest appearance: fan mask, fan pelt, default antlers, pink flowers

-Relationships-
mate: none

parents: adoptive parents, Isaac Rabbit (father) and Arminta Rabbit (mother); biological parents, unknown
other family: Rabbits and Palila

friends: Prince, Flyleaf, BigBunny, Flora, Khyzer "Orange Slice", InnerHowl, "Fern", La

Story
(This is subject to irregular updates and revisions, separated by paragraph.)

His Mother? No one knew who she was or where she came from. She mysteriously entered the Forest during a mating season and, after her son was born, exited as quietly as she'd come, leaving the newborn fawn on his own. Cypress was raised, so to speak, by the rabbits in whose den he had been dropped. As he grew, he quickly began to notice how different he was, and as soon as his antlers had come in, he left the rabbits' den and set off on his own, to find his own kind. He would never forget the first deer he saw. It was a large stag with a butterfly pelt and a skull for a face. The young buck was so surprised and delighted at the strange appearance of this wonderful creature that he bellowed loudly and began to dance around him. He quickly learned that this was not the best way to make friends and that he would need to learn the language of these creatures who looked like him. Still a loner, the young buck galloped off through the forest in search of a friend who could help him understand...

After a few months among them, Cypress had met many interesting deer and was starting to learn their language, though he was still not fluent. One day, he met a particularly patient and generous stag called Prince with whom he became friends.

One night, Cypress awoke to find himself sleepwalking, his hoofsteps apparently guided by a forest spirit. At the ruins, he met Hex, who read his fortune in the stars and told him that he would be led on a quest by the spirits, which would bring him to an ancient chapel where he would be required to ring a bell and put all the spirits to rest. Let's see if he will be up to the task...

One day in the forest, Cypress met Big Bunny! He was so amazed at the sight of the bunny that he knelt down and worshipped him, believing at first that he was some sort of rabbit god. Afterward, the two of them became good friends.

After meeting the large zombie deer, that god of Death whom he had so adored, so longed to curl up beside and caress to sleep, Cypress was left with a mask made from the skull of a deer --he considered it a gift, a blessing -- and he fell into a deep sleep. When he awoke three days later, it was raining. He stood up, stiff and shivering from the cold, and looked around. To his amazement, he saw all around him enormous, glowing mushrooms with bright red caps, dotted with white. He praised the gods for yet another gift and trotted off into the rain to find something to eat...

Cypress was sad to see the mushrooms go, but he had to admit to himself that nothing lasts forever, and that there is a time and place for every event. This realization led him to the decision to return home and visit his family.

After a long visit with his Rabbit family, Cypress finally decided that it was time for him to return to his own kind in the Forest. This just so happened to be the holiday time in which deer were feasting and exchanging gifts, and he felt a bit lonely, not knowing many other deer. He sat alone by the edge of the pond, watching other deer play with their friends. He tried to communicate with another buck he met in a patch of flowers, but he had not yet fully mastered Deer language and must have said something offensive, because the buck began shaking his head and rearing up at him. Cypress took the hint and went to worship at one of his favourite spots -- the idol of the Twin Gods -- to get out of the other buck's way. I am lonely for the company of deer, he said. I wish to learn their ways and assimilate into their culture so that I may freely make friends with others of my kind. After praying, he wandered off into the forest again and lost track of the time, eventually falling asleep.

Cypress had heard legends of two-legged creatures that used to rule the world and that sometimes, if an animal was very lucky, one might find leftover bits of these strange creatures' culture. He knew that the cemetery in the Forest and De Drinkplaats were remnants of this ancient civilization, and his brother Mazus even had a small collection of things he called "books," which contained stories and records of knowledge made by the two-leggeds. However, he never expected to stumble upon one of his own. One day while meandering through the Forest, the young stag happened upon a rectangular item lying stuck under the root of a tree and covered in fallen leaves. It was coated in a thick layer of dirt and even had some moss growing on the cover, but after pawing at it for a moment, he realized what it was. The book had a picture of a rabbit on the cover, and, remembering a little of what Mazus had taught him, Cypress was able to discern the title Watership Down. Excited by his discovery, he carried the book in his mouth and trotted off to his favourite spot to try to read it.

Later that day, Cypress met a young fawn named Khyzer in the Forest and decided to take him under his wing, so to speak, as a sort of "little brother" and gave him the nickname Orange Slice. Cypress and Khyzer became close buddies, the older buck teaching the younger all he would need to know about survival in the Forest.

One night, while out for a walk, Cypress met Flora, and after talking with her for a bit, agreed to take her to meet his family. Cypress agreed to teach Flora how to speak Lapine, and in return, she will help him with his Cervine vocabulary. The Rabbits keep teasing him about his new "girlfriend," although he has already explained to them that she is only a friend. (That's not to mention the fact that he still secretly has feelings for Velocity. xP)

Many deer in the Forest were celebrating the coming of the new year with their annual Festival of Lights. Cypress wanted to join in the festivities but was caught up in other activities and arrived too late for candle antlers. He was slightly disappointed but partied with the remaining deer nonetheless. The next morning he woke up with several layers of new pelts and ridiculous purple flowers on his antlers; but, being a good-natured sort of deer, he simply laughed and sneezed them off until he felt he was pretty again. This year, he made a resolution to stop being so shy and interact more with other deer.

The first day of the year, the Gods entered the Forest. Cypress was excited and happy when the sky began to change colours and objects to appear out of nowhere. With Michael's visit, the candles returned to the Playground, and Cypress was able to pick some up to put on his antlers. Feeling more festive, he continued to party with more vigor.

The next morning, he was so hungover that he accidentally fell into the water while trying to cross the bridge and lost his beloved skull mask to the murky depths of the pond. He searched desperately for it but was unable to retrieve his most prized possession. Feeling angry, he sat by himself and sulked for nearly an entire day until his friend Flora found him and cheered him up.

Finally reaching full maturity, Cypress lost his fawn spots for good, and his fluffy hide became sleek, dark, and striped.
Soon after, he fell ill, and many months passes that he did not see any of his friends.

When he returned to the Forest, Cypress was heartbroken to find that his friend Flora had passed away. He and his family brought flowers to her final resting place, and he sat there for days in mourning.

Wandering down to the stream to get a drink, Cypress noticed a small fawn beside the crying idol and started talking to her. She told him that her name was Palila and that she had no family. Cypress almost immediately became attached to the fawn and took her home with him, adopting her into the Rabbit family.

Cypress befriended a Forest spirit named Fern.

While on an outing to the Pond, Cypress lost track of Palila and Moss and went looking for them. He found Palila with her close friend Cian and was introduced.
Cypress finds his parental instincts growing as he grows more and more fond of the little elf-child.

One night, Flora came to Cypress in a dream and told him that her soul had been reborn as Palila. When he heard this, he made a solemn promise to never part with her and to protect her always. However, when he awoke, he could not find his daughter anywhere and is now in a state of panic and despair. In an effort to distract himself from his loss, he assisted La and friends in caring for the baby alien that hatched from the egg by the Crying Idol.

Accompanying La, Isca, and a new friend -- Peppino -- to the Human world, he helped bring a cow into the forest to feed the nubbin. He wants to name the cow Silymarin, after a flowering plant that produces a milk-like substance.

After the cow incident, Cypress took leave of the Forest and went on a soul-search alone. Along the way, he met an older stag named Paul, who helped him practice speaking Cervine until he became fluent in the language. He is now returning to the Forest in the hope of making more deer friends and perhaps finding a mate.

Art

painted by AlisonRobin

realistic face portrait (selfy taken by Drake the Beard, edited by me)

A-d-r-i-e-n (drawn by FairyClock)

Deer Dancing (drawn by me)

running, leaping (drawn by viktes)

Deer With Rabbits (drawn by me)

Two Cousins Set Out On An Adventure (drawn by me)

***********************************************************************************

{Coding credit to Mahj and Unplugged} {background image found on Google}

lulululu's picture

I love the fact that his name

I love the fact that his name means 'The Dark One' yet his nickname is Sunshine. Tracking ^.^
Narcissus's picture

I'm so glad you appreciate

I'm so glad you appreciate that little irony. Muchas gracias. o3o
the_jaybird's picture

I love him, must keep an eye

I love him, must keep an eye out for him in the forest Smiling
When I die I hope to be buried out in English seas
So all that then remains of me will lap against these shores
Until England is no more
Narcissus's picture

Gracias. Maybe your deer and

Gracias. Maybe your deer and mine can be friends. c:
What does yours look like?
Narcissus's picture

I made up a back story for my

I made up a back story for my character now. If you read this, please let me know what you think of it, whether it's good or dumb or needs more work or whatever. I want this character to be well-developed.
Narcissus's picture

Oooh, what is this? A

Oooh, what is this? A quest?
Adrien's story has been updated. :3
ZakuroToshino's picture

c:

c:
Narcissus's picture

I've now made a page for

I've now made a page for Adrien's adopted rabbit family and included a link to it on his biography.
Narcissus's picture

Hoorah! I finally got my

Hoorah! I finally got my laptop computer back from the repair shop. c:
Unfortunately, the hard drive was too badly damaged to have any files saved from it, but one of the very first things I did when I got it back (after setting my account name and password and downloading Google Chrome) was to install TEF on it, so... Adrien is back in the Forest now! c:

Oh my Gods, Endless Forest, how I have missed you so! *runs around in deer form rubbing on every tree, rock, and blade of grass I can see*

I've updated Adrien's story and "status" line to reflect the return, and I've also changed the title and top image of the biography. I hope this is more aesthetically pleasing and enjoyable to read.

.: Omigodh aww ;w;

.: Omigodh aww ;w;
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Narcissus's picture

Oh hey, Fainalotea. c: I'm

Oh hey, Fainalotea. c:

I'm assuming this is a compliment to my character (yes?). Thanks for visiting/commenting. o3o

.: Of coarse! He is so

.: Of coarse! He is so adorable and uniquee XD I love him
Narcissus's picture

Muchas gracias. o//3//o

Muchas gracias. o//3//o

.: Anytime! He's one of the

.: Anytime! He's one of the cutest deer on TEF ;w;
Narcissus's picture

D'aww! Now you're just

D'aww! Now you're just making me blush. xP

lawl It's so trueee thooough

lawl It's so trueee thooough
Flyleaf's picture

A Track i Put here Now

A Track i Put here Now Eye
Avatar @ Sluggs Siggy @ Amazegenalo
Bouncing Fly by Mary13
Narcissus's picture

Haha, thanks Flyleaf. c:

Haha, thanks Flyleaf. c:

.: XD I missed the Festival

.: XD I missed the Festival of Lights too.

Nice Bio! and like you said

Nice Bio! Laughing out loud and like you said its not to late 2 party lol its still a new year ^^

Art by Aihnna & pixel by Mary13~
Narcissus's picture

Haha, yeah. The "after

Haha, yeah. The "after party" (as I'm thinking of it now) was pretty great. xP

.: Omigosh yus! XD It was

.: Omigosh yus! XD It was pretty fun. Those moo bubbles made my laugh.
Thais's picture

Really nice bio, loved the

Really nice bio, loved the way he tells his background story. I hope Thais meets this deer someday (:
Display pic by crabbycrown ♥
Narcissus's picture

Thank you, Thais. I'm glad

Thank you, Thais. I'm glad you like him. Perhaps we shall meet in the Forest some time. c:

Oh hai thur

Oh hai thur
Narcissus's picture

lawl, hola Savannah. It's

lawl, hola Savannah. It's nice to see you again. cx
Narcissus's picture

Well... this sucks. My

Well... this sucks. My little brother played on my account without permission, fell into the pond by mistake, and stupidly saved my deer naked. So I have lost my entire set, but most importantly, my skull mask. Now I will have to wait all year until October comes again if I want to get it back. x/

Adrien's biography and profile have been updated accordingly. ._____.
Thais's picture

I can help you get some set

I can help you get some set if you want to
Display pic by crabbycrown ♥

.: Oh man that sucks... I am

.: Oh man that sucks...Sad I am so sorry to hear that.

.: lol I found you on TEF! XD

.: lol I found you on TEF! XD Standing right next to you, too. I maybe afk for a moment now. Mum's calling
Narcissus's picture

Thank you for the offer,

Thank you for the offer, Thais, but LambFleece already helped me get it back.

@Fain, I got all excited when I realized that deer standing in front of me was you! xP
I hope I don't offend or bore you, but I'm probably going to fall asleep beside you, because I'm watching Princess Mononoke now. (I've never seen this movie before, but I've wanted to for almost ten years. xD My friends all say it's really good.)

.: lol I got excited when

.: lol I got excited when saw you, too! XD And It's okay. Sorry for dissapearing...my mom has this weird fetish for watching us clean even if the area is already spotless :/
Narcissus's picture

xD My parents are exactly

xD My parents are exactly the same way. My mom will complain about the house being "trashed" just because there are a few things in the floor, and if we don't work at cleaning for at least two hours, she'll say we're being lazy. lawl

.: LOL XD Same with me!

.: LOL XD Same with me! Except it's just my mum...dad's no longer with us ^^;
And normally instead of callng us lazy, she'll throw a tantrum and then scream about stress and stuff.
Narcissus's picture

Oh wow... That really sucks.

Oh wow... That really sucks. :/

Anyway, I just finished Princess Mononoke, and I gotta say... that was one super dark, depressing sort of movie. I loved it. xP

.: lol It is a great movie! I

.: lol It is a great movie! I love Watership Down and Plague Dogs and Arashi no Yoru Ni. All epic animated films TwT
Narcissus's picture

Oh yes. I love Watership

Oh yes. I love Watership Down, but I haven't seen Plague Dogs. I've never even heard of Arashi no Yoru Ni. What is that about?

.: Oh my goodness I think

.: Oh my goodness I think you'd love Arashi No Yoru Ni. It's a movie that is English Dubbed on Youtube and it is an anime film starring the forbidden friendship/love of a goat and a wolf. It is so cute and surprisingly dark at some points and I adore it.
And the song at the ending credits is too addicting for words. [in the english dub]
Narcissus's picture

Oh yus! That definitely

Oh yus! That definitely sounds like a movie I would love! xD
I love goats and wolves... and stories about "forbidden" friendships. lawl
For some reason, the idea of predators and prey animals being friends has always been so interesting and adorable to me. It kind of reminds me of when my grandparents had a pet deer, and she was BFFs with their dog. They were the cutest pair. I think somewhere I may have a photo of me feeding them cookies. xP

.: lol That is something you

.: lol That is something you and I have in common! I love rewatching the movie whenever I get the chance TwT It is like, the cutest film...
And I agree. Forbidden love is awesome, and between predator and prey animals just makes you clinged to it XD

.: Awww!!! Deer x Doggie, so cute ;v;

Tracking~~ c: I'm sorry to

Tracking~~ c:

I'm sorry to hear you lost your skull mask. Hovewer, if you happen to have it on another account of yours, then there's easy way to get it back. Eye
Narcissus's picture

@Fain, I'm about halfway

@Fain, I'm about halfway through the movie now (I just got to the part where Mei and Gabu are trying to cross the river in the rain), and I really love it. This story's just so cute! I really like Gabu. c:

@Jennie, thankx for tracking. :b
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the skull mask on my alternate account, because it was still just a fawn when Velocity was in the Forest.

Welcome! c: But as long as

Welcome! c:

But as long as you don't have it elsewhere, then I'm sorry to say you'll have to wait. :c
LambFleece's picture

Because little OOC Fundi met

Because little OOC Fundi met him briefly yesterday c: ... Track this guy! He's a cutie. Smiling
I adore his backstory!

Avvie by Hadoukin
Narcissus's picture

@Jennie, ah well. I guess

@Jennie, ah well. I guess it'll be alright.

@LambFleece, muchas gracias! Laughing out loud

.: @grammarshine :. OMG I

.: @grammarshine :. OMG I love that part! XD And isn't Gabu the bestest? Cutest wolf character ever <3

.: I love how he reacted to his urge to eat Mei in the beginning and was staring at his butt the entire time they were having their first secret meeting/meal lol
Narcissus's picture

xD Yeah! I thought it was

xD Yeah! I thought it was hilarious how plump and wiggly the goats' rear ends were in the cartoon. Goats in real life are not that fat. lawl
But still, they were adorable.
I literally cried like a baby until my nose ran there at the end when Gabu lost his memory.

Is it just me, or do Gabu and Mei seem like more than just friends? The entire movie, I was just waiting for one of them to say "I love you," but it never came. Dx xP

.: LOL XD I know right? Ooh I

.: LOL XD I know right?
Ooh I cried at that part too DX

.: OMG IT WAS NOT JUST ME!? I thought the exact same thing, and still do whenever I watch the movie lol. They are such cute friends but the way they act with each other is just like...I can't imagine them NOT being more than friends you know? They were just...too sweet with each other lol
.: I can imagine the fanfictions on these two haha. I have been wanting to draw them as mates quite a few times

OMG XD

OMG XD

Is it just me, or do they kinda look like adrien and flora with those colors? XD
Narcissus's picture

xD That's freaking

xD That's freaking hilarious!

And that picture... ermagerd! yeah, I'mma go draw some shameful fanart now... >3<