The Old Oak: A Less Friendly Possibility

AlisonRobin's picture
RECENT / MAP

THE OLD OAK
A Less Friendly Possibility

INTRODUCTION

My deer La is very afraid of The Old Oak.

I know a lot of people like to role play and write stories about The Endless Forest, myself included. It's also clear that there isn't a lot of creepy stuff in the forest (inherently), but I like spooky stuff in media so I went deliberately hunting for some ways to put it in my experience of the game. Here's an alternative way for your characters to look at The Old Oak, if you want, for IC role play purposes. Or you have the opportunity of humoring me and La and just reading on anyway.

It started in 2010 when Shaku told me that her deer Vodun was playing with a friend around The Old Oak and the friend vanished. Shaku wrote a poem about her experience (read more of her poetry on Vodan's bio page):

Keke~ You came to play, yes?
     I have a fun game.
     After the sun sets,
     We can play hide and seek.
     Hide in the Old Oak...
     You'll never be found again~

Out of character most people are thinking “big deal, the other person's internet was funky” and you're almost certainly right—but what would a deer think if they saw someone go into a tree and vanish? That would be terrifying! “Hide in the Old Oak... / You'll never be found again” really sounds like something fawns might chant to each other, and in the dead of night a young stag might hear it echoing in his ears as he walks past that tree.

SOME INFO AND THOUGHTS ON THE OAK THAT AREN'T SCARY

I'm not a religious person but I find religion's influence on history and art impossible to ignore. The Endless Forest certainly draws a lot from the times where Christians were clashing with assorted local religions in Europe. I believe that the Ename Ruins represent the Christian influence, while the statues and The Old Oak represents the older local religions. Both ruins and oak provide shelter and resting places for deer to peacefully meet and live in harmony without humans fighting over their beliefs.

The oak is the sacred tree of Thor and of Zeus, both gods with connections to thunder and lightning. FairyClock informed me in the comments that, "The Oak tree is a symbol of the All-Father, Dagda, and is also represented as a Stag." (I've taken the liberty of adding the link in the quote.) She was kind enough to dig through her books for me and list these other deities as well: Dianus, Jupiter, Heme, Janus, Rhea, Cybelle, Hecate, Pan, and Erato.

A Christian legend says that Saint Boniface destroyed a very special oak that some Germans had devoted to Thor, and by doing so converted them to Christianity. Despite the saint's efforts, oak leaves appeared on pfennig coins in Germany for years.

According to the Book of Genesis 35:4, “And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods ... and Jacob hid them under the oak … .” That particular translation is from the King James version of the bible. Some other translations say “terebinth” instead of oak and are phrased differently, but the translations seem to agree with each other: the point is, gods were put to rest under an oak tree. What's under our Old Oak? What makes a god strange?

FairyClock also said, "Three of my books not only concur the Oak being a house for spirits but that it is, in fact, a gateway to the Otherside or Underworld (Depending on what pathos you're standing at). ... The Otherside, while beautiful, is also dangerous. Good spirits and mischievous ones (I guess you can call some of them "evil" but I feel that might be insulting as their rules are different from ours) reside there and can teach or trick you. Frolic or fear. / Life and death. / Light and Darkness. / It seems to always represent balance and 'twos'." She added that acorns are poisonous to humans but nutritious for deer.

SPOOKY STORIES TO TELL IN THE FOREST

Collecting tales of glitches and bugs around The Old Oak as well as In-Character perceptions and tales of that tree. Please share your characters' odd tales!

In 2010 I started playing the 3.4 beta, and it's dark and creepy. There was thunder every few minutes, and I thought back to Thor and Zeus. La stayed away from the Oak, scared by the sounds that it made and she hid under mushrooms instead.

In 2010 Ysrael said she's seen a "ghost nameless" sleeping inside the Old Oak. Her fawn was even brave enough to go inside the tree to get a picture of the ghost!

Later in 2010: Spyrre said that she, too, has seen ghosts near the Old Oak. Fortunately, these ghosts proved friendly.

On 1/24/14 La saw a deer with a golden deific pelt. I hit CTRL+W to see if it was legit and it wasn't. Later seeing many screenshots and the fake god's conduct I think it was definitely a jerk hacker. La tried to cast pelt spells to correct the error but they wouldn't take, and in the end the false god settled down underneath The Old Oak. La didn't follow because she was afraid. Made me think back to that quote from Genesis of strange gods being buried under the tree. La remembers this incident as a very frightening time of seeing a monster of some kind hiding in the skin of a god. Also pictured is Myshka. After La had run away, Myshka's player kikinkacze documented more scary happenings here.

On 2/20/14: La fell asleep under a willow tree by the pond, and when the camera zoomed out it passed through The Old Oak's branches and displayed this on the screen, giving poor La a nightmare that she had vanished and the willow trees had died.

Epherfish told me (and I read it on his deer's bio for more detail) that on 1/20/14 an innocent game crash caused a doppleganger of their deer Epher to remain under the oak even after Epher returned to the forest.

FairyClock's character Oduvanchik arrived in the forest through The Old Oak's magic, presumably interplanal transport magic.

Jennie says that her eponymous deer chased around some ghosts near The Old Oak on 2/28/14. She added that Velocity the Big Zombie Deer likes to sleep under The Old Oak as well. She mentioned the false gods under the tree appearing and multiplying. (I believe that particular incident happened on the same day that La saw the false god) Lastly, she commented on the illusion that the branches have of "tearing everyone apart below them."

Toya said that her deer Trout and Hototo were in the forest together (running the game two times simultaneously) around 3/5/14 and only one of them was able to see a deer by The Old Oak. The strange deer was spellable but unmappable.

Jennie had an incident where she turned into an enormous rabbit near The Oak and found The Pond dried up (sucked up by expansive roots perhaps? They say that for every tree there is as much wood underground as there is above ground). Fortunately things went back to normal all on their own.

Bayleen's character is The Guardian of The Oak, and doesn't see it in a spooky light at all. In fact, the character spends much of her time decorating it to make it more pretty and inviting.

Player Grammarshine says that The Oak contains an entrance to a rabbit warren, which might make sense given that being near it may have turned Jennie into a rabbit. Grammarshine's deer Adrien is part of the rabbit family that lives there.
shaku's picture

Yet another thread of awesome

Yet another thread of awesome for me to follow.

I totally got goosebumps reading this XD

might I just say that despite

might I just say that despite not posting much I follow your posts like a madwomen <3
you're so creative and just amazing

fff <33333
This account is a biography holder. Nothing more.
AlisonRobin's picture

Thanks guys! You make me feel

Thanks guys! You make me feel wonderful and fuzzy inside.
Ysrael's picture

This reminds me of the 'ghost

This reminds me of the 'ghost nameless' I keep seeing asleep within the old oak... Definitely adds to the creepyness of it!
AlisonRobin's picture

Seriously? That's terrifying.

Seriously? That's terrifying. I am so adding that to the main post. Thank you for contributing!
Ysrael's picture

You're very welcome! Thanks

You're very welcome! Thanks for putting it in!

edit: took a screenshot of the ghost just now, with an added spectral touch by Ysrael herself, hehe
Flyleaf's picture

The old oak is creepy !!

The old oak is creepy !! Indeed ! And i love reading your stories !!
Avatar @ Sluggs Siggy @ Amazegenalo
Bouncing Fly by Mary13
shaku's picture

Woah, Ysrael. When you said

Woah, Ysrael. When you said 'ghost nameless,' I totally didn't picture that XD That's seriously creepy. *wishes Vo and I could see it* ;u;

AlisonRobin's picture

Maybe your fawn is the only

Maybe your fawn is the only one who can see it...

double freaky. And thankyouthankyouthankyou for getting that screenshot! I can't believe you were brave enough to go in there. D:
Ysrael's picture

Ahh so no one else can see

Ahh so no one else can see it? o_o Freaky indeed! I have only seen it twice so far, myself.

Hehe the only reason she went in was to see if it was actually real! Once she managed to cast magic on it and when it turned white she decided that was enough of that and she promptly went far away from there ;;
shaku's picture

LOL! She's so brave!

LOL! She's so brave! *would've loved to have been there* XDD

Spyrre's picture

Woah, never thought of

Woah, never thought of that... I really like that point of view.
Wonderful idea... now that I think about it, my deer has also run into a ghost somewhere near the Oak.
Hmm. I think I´ll be going to check the oak out next time it´s dark in the forest.... <3
AlisonRobin's picture

Be careful... you never know

Be careful... you never know what you might run into ...
Spyrre's picture

Yeah, you never know... those

Yeah, you never know... those which I saw were quite friendly ghosts though, gladly. =)

Seed's picture

This is double-plus cool. I

This is double-plus cool. I don't think the Oak is outright malevolent... But then again, lots of things can hurt you without thinking about it. Maybe it just wants to keep you safe. Safe inside. Forever....
*laughs*
If I ever wanted to do a dramatic story with Seed and my characterization of the Oak (a gossipy old lady) mixed with this characterization of the Oak, that's what I'd do.
shaku's picture

I always feel like really old

I always feel like really old things are neither good nor evil, just sort of "neutral" forces. Although, in a way, I feel like these neutral forces can be just as dangerous as something outright malevolent~ >u>

Hm. I never thought of the

Hm. I never thought of the Great Oak in a creepy way. But I did always think of it as a source of magic for The Endless Forest.
While I imagined some of my deer being people that just ‘dreamed’ their way into the forest others I had always pictured of them stepping up to some great old oak from their world and being transported into the forest by the Giant oak. Nejime being one of them though I never got that deer’s story written out yet. *Lazy* >_>; I even thought about the ‘void’ that Atuutluk was trapped in could have been the Great Oak in game and that was how the Twin Gods found her. But I had never decided if that was exactly what I wanted Atu’s “void” to be.
I guess I should not be surprised I wasn’t the only one who thought that way. Especially if someone is into the Wiccan or other nature based religions.

I really like your observations. Especially since you pull a lot of your theories out of real life things or stories. : )
AlisonRobin's picture

@Spyrre: Good to know that

@Spyrre: Good to know that there are friendly ghosts, too!
@Seed: I don't think it's evil either. I am actually quite fond of trees. I just wanted to look at it a different way after I read Shaku's poem. I like the idea of trees and plants being gossipy. It makes sense somehow.
@Shaku: I tend to think of nature as self-interested but benevolent in an off-handed way.
@PrarieWolf: Yes, I think that the Old Oak has a lot to do with The Forest's magic too. The idea of oaks as portals is a convenient plot point for many characters, based on what I've read of bios. I'm not a theist, but I do enjoy studying the beliefs of others.
rice's picture

I know the Forest is

I know the Forest is super-friendly, and peaceful and such, but The Old Oak has ALWAYS creeped me out, legitimately. The noise it makes gives me bad-chills. So I rarely bring my deer near it because it just...*shudder*

I really like the idea of the Forest having something ominous in it, dark and creepy. I really don't know why. I've always gotten the sense that the Forest is meant to be haunted, despite being bright and sunny and cheerful most of the time.
OokamiAzura's picture

-Tracks like crazy- &hearts

-Tracks like crazy-

&hearts
AlisonRobin's picture

Rice, I completely agree.

Rice, I completely agree.
woodswolf's picture

Tracking! Well, I agree that

Tracking!
Well, I agree that the Old Oak is kinda creepy. Sure, it would be a nice place to go when it's raining, but, like some others said, the sounds make me jump. On my first day I had no idea where the sound was coming from, and I thought it was the gods and that they were REALLY creepy. Once I realized it was the Oak, I barely go near there anymore. And I've never seen a rainstorm anyway, so I'm not going there.
See you in the Forest!
FairyClock's picture

Track!!! Because I, too, have

Track!!!
Because I, too, have had mysterious things happen at the Oak tree. (Which is sacred in my religion.)
That's why it's a prominent piece in my works. <3
AlisonRobin's picture

May I ask which religion?

May I ask which religion? When I was reading around and pulling this together it seemed like every religion that originated from a part of the world that had oaks had some tie to them. It's not surprising--oaks are big and robust and so long-lived. Basically, every culture with oaks respects oaks as far as I can tell.
FairyClock's picture

I'm a bit worried about

I'm a bit worried about getting hassled (bullied off of Facebook already), but for your research's sake:
I practice old Druidry. The Oak tree is a symbol of the All-Father, Dagda, and is also represented as a Stag. There's a lot of mythos surrounding the power of the Oak tree and I have a branch in my room for protection and several necklace talisman that I use for courage and protection. (As well as a piece of stag antler curved to the likeness of a wise old man)

The Oak tree houses many spirits and, according to my books, brings new spirits into the world with each acorn. It's a little egg for faeries and the like.

Woodsmen would sometimes avoid cutting down Oak trees because they could "feel" the tree either breathing or it's warmth, during certain times of the year. Usually early spring and autumn. (Solstices)

I live in a place now with no Oak trees and very little religious freedom so I'm a bit reluctant to talk about it. Sad
AlisonRobin's picture

Thank you for sharing. I

Thank you for sharing. I don't think anyone will give you trouble about your human rights here, I certainly won't, especially because you are using them to teach me new things. It's incredibly shitty that you got bullied over that.

I totally get the thing about woodsmen being reluctant to cut down trees because they can "feel" them. There is a place that I always used to go with my friends in the woods, and we always gravitated towards one tree in particular. It was a cedar tree, pretty common where I live. It wasn't the biggest tree or the easiest to climb but it was always our favorite. None of us grew up religious, but I definitely experienced a very deep and emotional sort of reverence for that particular cedar tree.

i've had an experience there

i've had an experience there where the game crashed and when i got back on, there was still a version of epher there that i could see! ic it's a rather fun idea, doppelgangers occasionally showing up at the oak
FairyClock's picture

I'll get into my books again

I'll get into my books again tomorrow and do some extra research for you. If anything relevant to the topic is found, I'll post it.

I'm actually very interested in your work and, seeing this, I'll have to make an RP thing for La.
(Unless you want to pass, I don't mind. Not everyone on this site RPs, I noticed.) Sticking out tongue
AlisonRobin's picture

@EpherFish, yep. I wrote this

@EpherFish, yep. I wrote this mostly because of the stories that deer were telling in-character. You have to wonder how these characters deal with glitches and find ways for them to interpret the magic and strangeness. My character La was completely traumatized by seeing the false god in the woods, for instance, and even long before that she was very frightened of the old oak. Honestly I wrote this partly just to justify her strange fears. The other part is because I like learning and it is nearly impossible for me to roleplay my book-obsessed character without doing research.

@FairyClock: If you have the time that would be great! I love RP and research, aww yeah. I'm doing some edits to the page to include the information you provided and add another observation that I made:

The Endless Forest certainly draws a lot from the times where Christians were clashing with assorted local religions in Europe. I believe that the Ename Ruins represent the Christian influence, while the statues and The Old Oak represents the older local religions. Both ruins and oak provide shelter and resting places for deer to peacefully meet and live in harmony without humans fighting over their beliefs.
FairyClock's picture

And the lack of communication

And the lack of communication in game let's people explore and interpret thing's like that.
For instance, there's a grave with the outline of a human woman in almost a crucifixion kind of stance and it truly scared me at first but the more I hung around the area the more I felt a need to sit next to it. I felt it deserved a bit of contemplation.
FairyClock's picture

EXCITEMENT! Three of my

EXCITEMENT!

Three of my books not only concur the Oak being a house for spirits but that it is, in fact, a gateway to the Otherside or Underworld (Depending on what pathos you're standing at). One of my authors has a meditation app for finding inspiration in the Faerie realm and in each version, you pass through an Oak tree like a doorway; taking an Acorn as a rite of passage.
The Otherside, while beautiful, is also dangerous. Good spirits and mischievous ones (I guess you can call some of them "evil" but I feel that might be insulting as their rules are different from ours) reside there and can teach or trick you. Frolic or fear.
Life and death.
Light and Darkness.
It seems to always represent balance and "twos". (I'm willing to bet the Twin Gods are fully aware. XD)

Deities: Dagda, Dianus, Jupiter, Thor, Zeus, Heme, Janus, Rhea, Cybele, Hecate, Pan, Erato
(While the tree is always a Masculine symbol, some of these deities are female.)

ALSO: An interesting sidenote is that the Acorns that fall from an Oak tree is POISONOUS to humans but not to DEER! Isn't that fascinating? Something in their stomach removes the poisons, making the acorn a great source of vitamins and protein for Deer! <3
AlisonRobin's picture

asdfsdlkj;sagjlsd thank you

asdfsdlkj;sagjlsd thank you for all of this. I'm gonna update the page when I have more time. I need to look up a few of those deities as well.

I like the idea of deer eating acorns in the forest like candies, popping 'em and crunching down on them and loving it.

Also, another IC idea comes to mind. Lots of people play quite otherworldly characters from all manner of planes. Some people have characters that used to be human or used to be monsters or really anything, maybe The Oak is partly responsible for bringing them into The Forest since it really does seem to have lots to do with transportation.

Some things say transformation in my googles as well but I think they mean a more spiritual transformation for people than physical transformation. If I head to the library sometime soon I'll dig for articles in religion or anthropology the serious business journals about oaks. They're dense but usually more straightforward than the internet.

MYSTERIES ABOUND!
FairyClock's picture

lol The Oak is how Oduvanchik

lol The Oak is how Oduvanchik got here. More to be revealed via RP. lulz
FairyClock's picture

Yaaaaay, science!

Yaaaaay, science!
Toya's picture

Again. Brilliant.

Again. Brilliant.
AlisonRobin's picture

Thanks folks. So if anyone

Thanks folks.

So if anyone has weird Oak stories to add to the this interpretation of the forest, lemme know and we can really build this Old Oak mythos.
Toya's picture

I have linked to this thread

I have linked to this thread in the "other" - "favored haunts" section of Toya's bio for reference reasons. Thank you!
SilverRacoon's picture

I love horror -is stuff! So

I love horror -is stuff! So this was really intresting for ,mme to read and I totally see the old oak differently from now on ._.
AlisonRobin's picture

Toya, awesome. Glad I could

Toya, awesome. Glad I could help you add to your character in any way. Smiling

Silver, it's always good to find more horror fans. Not especially common with such a peaceful setting but I do love me my spine tingling chills.

Yesterday Jennie chased

Yesterday Jennie chased around a ghost. It was not too far away that tree.
My friend saw there the deers clotched as Gods appear in numbers I mean numbers. The oak was full of them, and they were often spotted nearby. The BZD likes to sleep there...
And it's branches have a nasty illulsion of tearing everyone apart below them.

and pls do a research about the deermuda it is shockingly creepily awesome...!
Someone said that they had their deer dance there all day and couldn't do anything about it, many have fallen into a dimension under it, it slapped candles onto Jennie's head, it glitches pelts and deers and sets and etc etc.

AlisonRobin's picture

Ooh, that thing about the BZD

Ooh, that thing about the BZD is cool.

I don't know about deermuda, honestly. It's something only in the game, so I can't get any outside info... I think that whatever I made would be 100% reliant on other players rather than just partially reliant like this thread. I/La also have no experiences with it and I'm not sure that La even knows it exists.

I would like to add it to my page about the cartesian coordinate system in the game though. I'm gradually collecting newerscreenshots of places for that one and I'll add the triangle if I can get the coords.
FairyClock's picture

I thought I'd let you/La

I thought I'd let you/La know, after reading the nightmare thing, I took a nap and had a fever dream about the Oak tree uprooting itself and trying to eat me. lmao
Since I wasn't my deer, I can't say it was Tan's nightmare; but I could tell this thread had something to do with it. xD

Good job.
AlisonRobin's picture

/successful fist pump But

/successful fist pump

But that sucks that you had a nightmare for realsies.
FairyClock's picture

Sooo..... How do I get the

Sooo..... How do I get the permanent white pelt that skully guy just poofed in with?
I'm just dancing by myself in the Oak tree and then a blindly white stag shows up.
Looked neat with the white mask and antlers buuuut....
I was told there is no white pelt thingy....

EDIT: I tried to track him/her/it with the map and the picto he had but he didn't show up at all. Checked several times. Untrackable pale deer with white grinning mask.
AlisonRobin's picture

I think you have to exploit a

I think you have to exploit a glitch in an older version of the game in order to maintain it but I don't know the specifics. Might be better to just use the grey pelt or the secretary bird pelt.

And I hate when deer don't show up on the map and just act like spooky ghosts.
Toya's picture

Had two windows open in TEF

Had two windows open in TEF the other day for fixing up a lost spell. One window had a deer in it that did not appear in the other. My fawn, Trout, could see a named, but unmappable deer near Oak that was spellable and everything, Hototo could not see said deer at all, and insisted that Trout was making things up. Reporting this despite the likelihood it was a simple glitch, but in game, it was disturbing to see for some reason.
AlisonRobin's picture

Haha that's great between the

Haha that's great between the characters like that. I'd say that yeah, it's probably something buggy, but the same could be said for most of the stories here. It's all about how the deer interpret them and how many of them may be biased against The Old Oak to blame the weirdness on it.

I'm not a superstitious person in real life and I don't come from a superstitious family, but it's a fun thing to think about and contemplate, and wonder where these sorts of common beliefs come from. Deer must have tons about glitches.
Toya's picture

Perhaps a "glitch" is some

Perhaps a "glitch" is some sortof demon or spook to our forest deer. XD

I imagine some mama doe warning her fawns against this or that, or a glitch will get them...

Love the new layout! Also and

Love the new layout! Also and mainly,
Jennie report of recent happenings, I feel like it.

I left her standing by the Oak. Tabbed out. Tabbed back in. She receieved a spell despite the fact that no one was around to cast it. She was a giant bunny.
I've decided to let her around run in it. Came to the Pond. Framerate dropped heavily.
There was no water. I know many glitches and one of them can take the water away for my eyes. I've thought I forgot to fix it untill I found out that the ground was light like forest floor, not dark brown how it is meant to be. Framerate was almost dead and a group of deer found us and started to stalk us. I wonder what did I looked in their eyes like? They were interested and a little scared. The water reappeared. Never experienced anything like that before. I moved to the border with the birch and had a dance party with them there. Everything was normal again but they still seemed to be very interested in my appearance.
Then drupal was being a bother on this community. It never used to this time. Never. Hah.
but i love glitches
Bayleen's picture

Wow this is freaking awesome

Wow this is freaking awesome aha. I applaud you and FairyClock for all this deeper research, it's so interesting and just aldskjfsd totally makes me look at the game as a whole in a deeper sense.
At least, I as a player, had always found the Old Oak creepy because it's so dark and the humming/tune that plays once you near it sounds meditative, but ominous to a point where it seems suspiciously sinister. Still, the Old Oak has always remained a mystery to me, but I think you creating this informative blog has cleared up my thoughts about it and helped me create my own opinion about it... which hasn't changed too much considering I still find it unsettling and eerily meditative xD But I find an interest in religions too so it's definitely made me think a lot more about it.

Now as far as character's perceptions.. My doe, The Oak Guardian, might have a bit of a different perspective if she were to read this blog, for a self-explanatory reason- her name and purpose. As explained in her bio, the twin gods created her with the purpose to guard and care for the Old Oak in order for it to thrive- whatever that means. If you had asked her what she herself thought about the Oak she would tell you it's a place of serenity, so peaceful it emits a sense of eternity once you spend your time there. Then again she "decorates" the oak and the entire forest with small flowers and whatnot but sadly that cannot appear in the game xD However, she does have illusions fairly often when in/near the Old Oak, which she almost always is- it's pretty much her home where she eats, sleeps, and breathes. Still, she would not deny it's mystery and air of eeriness.
Now shame on me for not having planned out a larger/deeper purpose for her, really I just wanted to give the Old Oak some love become I seldom see people by it (probably because of all the creepy glitches and myths about it xD) and create a doe with some minor "god-like" abilities with levitation and blooming flowers and strength; a doe serving others and not herself (but would she be considered a "god" in these religion's eyes? And if so, I wonder if there is a significance in her serving the old oak specifically...)... and I didn't think of a deeper purpose in relation to what the Old Oak is in the first place. All I know is she made some promises that are so secret that even now she forget them, so maybe this is an opportunity to develop her more and maybe apply some of this information you've discovered here to her history and present-knowledge of the oak (not copy it, but y'know interpret it as the Guardian if that's okay with you of course).

EDIT: omg so sorry for this long post aaahhglsdk
mainpage