II: Thunderclap | Spring

Iaurdagnire's picture
Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV

I wake to an empty forest.

This isn't right.
There is no-one.
No bird song.

Does fog make a sound?
It is all I can see, a faint static I can hear. Wanting to find someone – anyone - I walk towards the pond which has always been a popular place to meet. The grey cloud moved across the water in slick lines, and was so thick I couldn’t even see the high bank at the other end. It looked like it didn’t have one; the light refractions making everything a blinding white.

Then, I hear it.

I await that question from the wolves, because I know no different.

I fight that acceptance, because I know no different.

I can't see it - the face where that crackling and almost incomprehensible voice seeped from - but I know it is there in the dull rumble of thunder in overhead storm clouds... I rely on my eyes more than I care to admit. I need to be able to see.
I stand still and say nothing.
Waiting.

"You are different. Less defiant. Less... Have my siblings exhausted you? You're looking very tired."

"I am tired of knowing you." I answer, listlessly scuffing my hooves into the water. It's funny how we do things to distract ourselves to avoid something; sitting down and pretending to stare off into the distance; following an insect with our eyes to delay admittance to wrong-doing... Fawns are very good at this, but it gets harder as we age. I slowly bend to drink, but the moment my lips touch the water and that swell hits my tongue, I reel backwards spluttering.

Salt water.

"Am I in for a long, painful drought, dear Spring? Your flowers can't live with salted earth."

As I spoke, deep purple clouds rolled into great plumes with flecks of lightning scorching outer folds as they climbed higher into the sky. I could feel the steady incline of a hurricane wind whipping around my heels, rippling the water and destroying my reflection.

"Ah, but the world does not spin without mine Ocean, Iaurdagnire. It is the greatest giver of life, but its ferocity is that of fire."

"Ocean..."

A great wave swirled and soared high above banks and trees creating a looming wall of bottomless cobalt blue, terrifying in its sheer emptiness. The almost instantaneous rush of water was deafening, and the way it hovered with such control made Iaurdagnire hold his breath in anticipating fear for it to suddenly crash on top of him. When the constant up-drift claimed the heavy top, the world around him slowed as it tipped forward, falling into itself and churning unforgiving white waves in which he would surely drown. But as it fell, it got smaller, until a face appeared. Murderous eyes and teeth; he finally saw the spirit for what it was - a Wolf.

"Oh Iaurdagnire... Iaurdagnire...
This unforgiving tempest; it is just the work of me."

The wolf recoiled in its own rushing spray to settle on four swirling legs in front of the great stag standing fast on the shore. Iaurdagnire lowered his antlers in readiness, a mixture of fear and fight burning his chest as he stared into the whirlpools that were the wolf’s eyes. But all at once, the water-form collapsed in loops, flowing back into the water and some disappearing into the ground.

There was an eerie silence before the sudden sting of sliced flesh reached the stags senses. It was so fast that he couldn’t cry out or defend himself from the onslaught. The wolf’s teeth were very real, yet its body washed over and choked his lungs as if he were lost at sea before disappearing back into the ground.

It struck again.

And again.

And again.

Only when he could taste his own blood did the giant start to run, but no matter where he tried to hide, the wolf found him and struck again.

So he ran.

Iaurdagnire will run for three days and three nights, passing the endlessness of the forest and lands beyond until he will come to what he can only assume is the very end of the earth; water stretching only into infinity.

There, he will face his greatest challenge.

Kaoori's picture

ninjatrack

ninjatrack
Verycrazygirl's picture

eep.

eep.

Iaurdagnire's picture

... It wasn't meant to

... It wasn't meant to autoplay or loop, and I can't fix it. Sorry, Mixpod is having a tantrum this evening <3
Fincayra's picture

O:

O:

trackytrack esit: the music

trackytrack

esit: the music is love
Reyy's picture

Mhmm. (:

Mhmm. (:
OokamiAzura's picture

*Shudders* I got a bad

*Shudders*

I got a bad feeling about this...

I've been waiting for the

I've been waiting for the next one of these, looks/sound awesome so far!
arrowdoe's picture

-tracking-

-tracking-
Custard's picture

hm.

hm.
Pegasicorn's picture

Oh? *has a curious*

Oh? *has a curious*
Iaurdagnire's picture

*Shields self* You're all

*Shields self*
You're all going to have to wait till tomorrow for the rest... I still have more than I thought to do X)
*is pummeled with cabbages*

But it means it'll be more exciting? 8D
day4's picture

Trickle Track! -weather

Trickle Track!
-weather fail'd track-
Firefli's picture

Uh oh

Uh oh <3
Apparanza's picture

/Jaws theme

/Jaws theme music
/ninjatrackindisguise

By Leuvr

*stalkofwonderment*

*stalkofwonderment*
Hraeth's picture

-sits and waits with great,

-sits and waits with great, huge eyes-
Haru's picture

oooh, now I'm very curious!

oooh, now I'm very curious! D:
bubblywums's picture

This looks pretty awesome.

Shocked This looks pretty awesome.
Verycrazygirl's picture

eeeeep

eeeeep

Seed's picture

Oh me oh my.

Oh me oh my.
OokamiAzura's picture

Oh no.

Oh no.
Spyrre's picture

Epic.

Epic. <3
Iaurdagnire's picture

*Giggles* Oh's and eep's, how

*Giggles* Oh's and eep's, how awesome <3
Ephra's picture

Whoahh

Whoahh Laughing out loud
Kaoori's picture

THE WOLF IS A GODMODER rofl

THE WOLF IS A GODMODER

rofl kdding

this is AWESOME. I can't wait to see what happens. Poor Sir Dag! And I love the music! what is it?

And I LOVE your art, as always!
Iaurdagnire's picture

Quote:THE WOLF IS A

Quote:
THE WOLF IS A GODMODER

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN, YOU'RE RIGHT *Laughs*

The music is... well, I don't want to say, because the film it came from will ruin it XD <3

Pegasicorn's picture

O.O! That music really adds

O.O!
That music really adds to the mood.
Firefli's picture

I was holding my breath at a

I was holding my breath at a few parts :o
Poor Dag... <3
(Beautiful drawings <33)
OokamiAzura's picture

Will there be a time you can

Will there be a time you can inform us of the music? It's currently making sweet love to my ears right now 8D
Iaurdagnire's picture

Pega -> I'm so happy the

Pega -> I'm so happy the music works!
Firefli -> Thank you <3 :3
Azura -> I'll divulge the music once it is over, how about that? So... A little less than a week from now (;
OokamiAzura's picture

Yes, yes, that sounds good

Yes, yes, that sounds good <3
Hraeth's picture

3':

3':
Fincayra's picture

This is the very definition

This is the very definition if EPIC.
Ah, I'm so in love with everything here. Poor Dag. Sad

This continues to be amazing!

This continues to be amazing! Smiling

wow...

wow...
Seele's picture

This is amazing o.o Poor dag

This is amazing o.o Poor dag *huggles* D8
Music is epicepicepic.

That was epictastic

That was epictastic <3
Iaurdagnire's picture

Thank you! And Kiyo... I will

Thank you!
And Kiyo... I will not let you win that bet >P
Reyy's picture

I held my breath the entire

I held my breath the entire time I read it. This is... absolutely amazing.
Iaurdagnire's picture

You seemed excited about it

You seemed excited about it so I hoped you'd like it (;
Apparanza's picture

That music totally sets the

That music totally sets the mood @.@

By Leuvr

I'm

I'm speechless.

Honestly.

Speechless.

Jesus Daggus this is so cool!