III: Nothing Gold can Stay | Autumn

Iaurdagnire's picture

I - II - III

"This happens to you every year, does it not? Then why, dear tree, are you so adamant to hold onto something that is out of your command? I know why. You are just like me, wanting to be in control of every little aspect of life. Look at all these deer... Just look at them! Each one of them offered you guidance, and now they litter the ground that surrounds you. They all had their own story to tell, whether it sad stories of their own loss, or the very purest of innocence of what you - one of their trees in their home - means to them. Who would have thought that you could make so much noise."

"I can't promise that the same leaves will come back next year. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. They might cling to you now, but being given the freedom to have a choice will maybe, just maybe, keep them always coming back to you.

These deer around you? Well, you could say that they are my leaves. They could let go of me, but they won't. But I know now that one day I will be the one to have to let go of them. We can struggle as much as we like, but we cannot avoid what must become of us. They are the ever-widening bridge to carry me from my beginning to my end, and when that day comes, I know that they will be ready. And with any hope, so will I."

"You've been here longer than most, so I shouldn't need to tell you that the forest will always be good company and treasure what you give at this time of year. Leaves, you make so many fawns happy! They collect you, run and play games with you, and even I will take a moment to seek that satisfying once-a-year sound that my lashing stride creates through your rustling red rivers. You provide golden, cozy homes for small animals... and when the wind is strong, you fly and dance better than any of us could. You are the only kind of rain we will all stand out in. And Tree... no matter what you have on your branches, you are a safe haven when we have no-where else to go. We might hide behind you if we're shy, scared, and even use you to play a game of chase. You'll never move, and bear the brunt of anything that tries to get past you. But most importantly you are a nameless stronghold that we can talk to in confidence, because you will never say a word back. That is all some of us need, sometimes.

You have a duty to fulfill, right now, just as I have. I will not force you to let go, and I cannot pluck your friends if they are not ready. If we are to do this, we will do it together. All of us."

The voices in his head were silenced, and leaf-by-leaf the tree let go, sending its leaves to those waiting below. They fell quickly, but a strong and heavy wind sent them skyward in a triumphant crescendo. It wasn't long before Dag felt Autumn's presence leave him, and at last after what seemed like an eternity, his friends heard him stir and looked at him. He was hesitant at first, but made a tentative step and broke the boundaries he was once tied to.

This time was different. He was not thrown into the mouths of wolves as before, but still... it felt good to be a part of something once again that he considers bigger than his own purpose.

Part of them.

I was too late... It was gone. Gone along with all the others. I wanted to thank it, even if I could never know who or what it was. Though... it is a wonder that it knew me, knew my name, knew of my friends.
Thank you, Voice... I will remember you.

Kaoori's picture

^^ so glad he's back.

^^

so glad he's back.
quadraptor's picture

Like a bittersweet memory...

Like a bittersweet memory...
Verycrazygirl's picture

Daggums

Daggums <333

This is such a pretty closure to all the others! I love how different and how happy it is! Laughing out loud

Pegasicorn's picture

=D

=D
Snowsauria's picture

(No subject)

<3
Calinka's picture

So happy to have him back.

So happy to have him back. And so sorry I couldn't be there. ):

It looks just great. The read is awesome - I love it. All of it. Welcome back, Iaurdagnire. <3
Nix42's picture

Wonderful! Loved it to bits.

Wonderful! Loved it to bits. <3
''A spark neglected makes a mighty fire."
Hraeth's picture

I have no appropriate

I have no appropriate words.
This just made me smile stupidly. C':
Revtheyr's picture

This is beautiful and

This is beautiful and awe-inspiring~
I wish I could have done more to help. XD
Fincayra's picture

Mm. I love this one.

Mm. I love this one. <3 Like everyone else has said, it's so happy. 8'D
It's good to have him back.
Iaurdagnire's picture

(:

(:

This was the most perfect

This was the most perfect ending to my day.
I'm so happy now!
Thank you c:
Munkel's picture

This makes me happy

This makes me happy ♥

I was there too in the beginning but already left before Dag arrived x'3

It's nice to have him back.
Iaurdagnire's picture

Munkel is in the screenshots

Munkel is in the screenshots I believe (; I was happy to see you were there.
Speaking of which, I forgot to say many thanks to Vee for taking the screenshots before I could arrive (:

I'm... happy that a happy ending made people happy. XD
Munkel's picture

Yes 83 And thanks to Vee as

Yes 83
And thanks to Vee as well for this ♥
Verycrazygirl's picture

(No subject)

&hearts;

OokamiAzura's picture

Eee, good to see him again!

Eee, good to see him again! &hearts

I wish I could have been

I wish I could have been there earlier, but at least I made it. Amary was very happy to see Dag again. ^^
Haru's picture

&hearts; It was so much fun

♥ It was so much fun participating in this, I'm glad that Dag is back :3
Iaurdagnire's picture

It was great to see Cloud

It was great to see Cloud there ♥ I'm glad you made it too Paz!

My favourite part was when Noelle and Fay started a head-tilt war which escalated into the dance circle. I love moments like that <3
Spyrre's picture

Awesome.

Awesome. <3<3
Good to know that he´s back. <3