What a Day (Oisín)

I find myself with a mother and a father. A family... A familiar feeling. I know I once had a family, before. Something...happened to them...I believe... It feels good to have one again.

Master Scape... Or, I should say, Father... I want to thank you for being there for me when I was new to this world, for teaching me, protecting me, while I struggled to make sense of everything around me. If not for you, I would still be afraid... Well, I admit my fears are not yet gone, but they are diminished. I even enjoy things now that I once feared. Also, I thank you for your patience, knowing it must not be easy for one with so much energy to wait for a fawn with a bad leg. You also showed me how to have fun.

And, of course, I cannot forget the one I now call Mother. Even yesterday, you comforted me. You helped me forget my worries.
Though I was not born in this forest, I could not have asked for better parents.

Although...some of this feels familiar... Clearly I have been influenced by those that taught me, but I think that there is more to it... It might have something to do with the feeling I have always had that I once lived elsewhere, even to adulthood, which would mean that I have essentially grown up twice, in which case I must have learned things the first time around as well. It is a strange thing to think of... I have heard of others having had past lives. Maybe it is the same for me.

If that is the case, perhaps there is something from the past that might explain why fighting frightens me so. I saw the stag that protected me once when I was a fawn, who even in a short time I had grown fond of. I believe his name is Walter. I was happy, at first, although he looked different than what I remembered. But then I saw he was fighting another deer, one with a skull face. That face...it reminds me of death...I may no longer fear it, but I can't help but feel nervous still. I don't know why they fought. It frightened me, and I wanted to flee. But I couldn't, not when it involved one I remember so fondly. When the fight ended, I tried to approach him, but he seemed...hostile... Perhaps he was still worked up from the fight, and I imagine he did not recognize me, as I was no longer the fawn he once protected.

I was saddened, but my spirits rose when I saw Mother. With her comfort and encouragement, I was able to approach the skull-faced stag, and greet him appropriately. Perhaps from now on I will not be bothered so much by those who wear skulls, although I may always feel a bit uneasy.

It was Mother's influence, her easy-going nature, that allowed me to forget my worries concerning the fight I had witnessed, at least for a while. The day turned into a good one. In fact, I was having so much fun, I nearly forgot about my bad leg. I barely noticed it. Now, of course, it is hurting after so much playing and running. So I'll have to rest a bit. But I don't really mind. Despite what happened earlier in the day, I feel happy now, if a bit worn out.

I still can't seem to get over my fear of the gravestones, however... The others were playing there. I would have liked to join in, and I tried. But I just could not bring myself to stay there...

That was when I noticed a stag whom...I could have sworn I met before. He seemed to have the same scent as the frightened little fawn I met just a few days ago. And the stag that I met afterward... Is this really the same deer? It's confusing...

I had worn myself out, however, and had to rest, even falling asleep under a willow tree.

What a day it was.

Oisín